Mom’s Raisin Pie
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 minutes
- Cook 30 minutes
A delicious fruit pie for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
A recipe for a raisin pie or as Mom called it, "Poor Man's Mincemeat." A family favorite at Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings.
- 2 cups California Raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pastry for double crust pie, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place raisins and water in saucepan and boil 5 minutes.
- Blend sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to raisins and cook, stirring, until liquid is clear. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar and butter. Let cool slightly.
- Turn into pastry-lined pan. Cover with top pastry or cut the pastry into lattice strips and use for top crust. Bake about 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.