Mom’s Oatmeal Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
"My mom's moist, delicious oatmeal cake has always been a family favorite. Everyone who tastes it requests a copy of the recipe. This scrumptious dessert remains to this day my mom's 'signature cake' cake."
- 1 1/2cups boiling water
- 1cup oatmeal (old fashioned oats)
- 1/2cup butter, softened
- 1cup brown sugar
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2cup butter
- 1/4cup milk
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1/2cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in a small bowl.
- Set aside. Cream butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs with an electric mixer. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to creamed mixture alternately with oat mixture.
- Pour into pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare the frosting, combine butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add pecans and coconut. Spread over cake.
Recipe by Rhonda Stella, Bonner’s Ferry, Idaho