Mom’s Meatballs and Spaghetti
- Yield servings
Kids love spaghetti and meatballs, and they'll have fun helping make this simple, hands-on recipe.
For cooks not as nimble as Sam and Jack (from the instructional video below), here are the specifics for mom’s meatballs and spaghetti. If you listen carefully, you'll hear Jill remind the boys to wash their hands before mixing the meat and shaping the meatballs. Don't forget to also wash hands after handling the uncooked meat, it's just as important! If you look at the happy tasters, you’ll see clean hands.
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups your favorite tomato sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs, parsley, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; mix until evenly blended. Shape into 18 meatballs. (Wet hands facilitate shaping.)
- Place meatballs in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium to medium-high heat until brown on all sides. If meat starts to stick, add a little oil to pan. Add sauce, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through. If sauce is too thick, add some of the pasta cooking water. Serve with spaghetti. Serves 6.
Want more help? Watch Relish Editor Jill Melton and the kids make these meatballs together.