Mom's Meatballs and Spaghetti
- Yield: servings
For cooks not as nimble as Sam and Jack (from the instructional video below), here are the specifics for mom’s meatballs and spaghetti. If you listen carefully, you'll hear Jill remind the boys to wash their hands before mixing the meat and shaping the meatballs. Don't forget to also wash hands after handling the uncooked meat, it's just as important! If you look at the happy tasters, you’ll see clean hands.
- 1pound ground lean beef
- 1/4cup dry bread crumbs
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4cups your favorite tomato sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs, parsley, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; mix until evenly blended. Shape into 18 meatballs. (Wet hands facilitate shaping.)
- Place meatballs in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium to medium-high heat until brown on all sides. If meat starts to stick, add a little oil to pan. Add sauce, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meat is cooked through. If sauce is too thick, add some of the pasta cooking water. Serve with spaghetti. Serves 6.
Want more help? Watch Relish Editor Jill Melton and the kids make these meatballs together.