Mom’s Magic Muffins
- Yield 4 dozens
'I'd better not show up at a church potluck or a family gathering without a basket of warm muffins. They are good with any meal or as a snack. Kids love them and don't realize they are eating healthy food.'
- 1 (14-ounce) box Raisin Bran cereal
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups dried, sweetened cranberries
- Combine cereal, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; mix well. Combine buttermilk, oil and eggs in a separate bowl and whisk well. Pour egg mixture into cereal mixture; stir until just blended. Fold in cranberries.
- Place in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator overnight. The batter will keep for four weeks and improves over time. Do not stir at any time after refrigerating or when preparing to bake the muffins.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease muffin cups. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake 18 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Cool in muffin tins 10 minutes. Serve warm or remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Judith Collier Wright, Lake Almanor, Calif.