Mom's Custard Pie
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
I have made this many times, and it's my brother's favorite. I highly recommend this recipe. It's good any time of the year.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 4 eggs
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2cups whole milk
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line the pie crust with heavy-duty foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Separate 1 egg; place the egg white in a small mixing bowl. Combine the egg yolk, the remaining eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk in a large bowl; whisk until well blended.
- Beat the egg white with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into the egg mixture. Carefully pour into the crust. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of the nutmeg over the top, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with the remaining nutmeg and place on a wire rack to cool completely. When cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
Recipe by Mary Daring, Carey, Ohio