Mom’s Creamed Spinach
- Yield: 4 servings
"My mother's handwritten recipe cards titles this dish 'Slovene or Hungarian Style Spinach.' I remember it served with roasted chicken or meatloaf for our Sunday family dinners. It is one of my comfort foods."
- 1bunch fresh spinach (about 1 pound)
- 1tablespoon butter or bacon drippings
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- dash of garlic salt
- 1/2cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove the stems from the spinach, and rinse the leaves well. Cook in water in a medium-size pan until just limp. Drain well in a colander, and then finely chop. In the same pan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and garlic salt, and cook until it’s bubbly and begins to turn golden. Stir in the milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Add the spinach, and season with salt and pepper.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Consider adding sauteed onions or mushrooms. It’s also good with 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or a dash of hot sauce. It’s an ideal omelet filling.
Recipe by Dottie Hydue, Morriston, Fla.