Broccoli Salad with Mushrooms and Walnuts
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
Lightly toasted walnuts provide the crowning touch. The broccoli and mushrooms need a minimum of two hours to marinate, but recipe creator Mollie Katzen suggests, “if you also marinate it for longer, you can make the salad up to a day ahead of time.”
- 1/3cup roasted walnut oil
- 1tablespoon Chinese toasted sesame oil
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic
- 1tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- -- Several grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1pinch cayenne
- 1/4pound medium-sized mushroom caps (very fresh, “tight,” and white)
- 2pounds broccoli, cut into 2-inch spears
- 1/3cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2cups walnut halves, lightly toasted
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the mushrooms.
- Steam the broccoli until just tender and bright green. Refresh under cold running water, then drain thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Add this to the marinating mushrooms, and stir gently until well coated.
- Cover tightly and allow to marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours. If marinating longer, refrigerate. Stir in the vinegar within 15 minutes of serving. Sprinkle on the walnuts at the very last minute.
NOTE: This recipe can be served cold or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Mollie Katzen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 380
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 33g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 20g
- Monounsaturated Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 580mg
- Potassium 730mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 13g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 90%
- Vitamin C 240%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 15%