Molasses, Miso, and Maple Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 1/2pounds sweet potatoes or garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2tablespoons molasses
- 1teaspoon tamari or shoyu
- 2tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1tablespoon white or yellow miso
- 1/4cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6tablespoons filtered water
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the yams with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a parchment-lined or well-greased baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 50 minutes, turning over with a fork after 25 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and lower the heat to 375F.
- Place the cinnamon stick at the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish, and add the sweet potatoes in layers. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the molasses, tamari, maple syrup, miso, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, thoroughly basting the sweet potatoes every 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from The Inspired Vegan by Bryant Terry, De Capo Lifelong Books.