Molasses Glazed Chicken with North Carolina Sweet Potato Salsa
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4cup molasses
- 1/4cup apple cider or bourbon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4medium boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2large onions, peeled and cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2cup water
- 1medium crisp apple, cored and diced
- 2large green onions, plus additional for optional garnish
- 1/4cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 medium lime
- 1/2teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1tablespoon molasses
- Blend together molasses, apple cider or bourbon, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper in a ziptop plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat chicken well. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place sliced onions in pan. Place chicken breasts in a single layer over onions and drizzle marinade mixture over chicken and onions. Cook uncovered 30 to 40 minutes, until a fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- While chicken is cooking, make salsa. Place diced sweet potato in a large microwave-safe bowl; add water, cover loosely, and cook in microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Drain immediately into a colander, then rinse thoroughly with cold water to cool. Drain well, patting dry with paper towels. Place in a mixing bowl with apple, green onions, pecans, lime juice and zest, pepper flakes and molasses, tossing gently.
- Remove baking dish from oven; place chicken breasts on a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, spoon onion mixture from baking pan into a saucepan and place over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until onion is softened and mixture is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken breasts crosswise into thin slices; serve with onion sauce and salsa. Garnish with additional green onions, if desired.
Note: The sweet potato cooking step may be done on the stovetop, if preferred – cook just a bit longer.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 467
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 108mg
- Sodium 788mg
- Carbohydrate 49g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 39g