- Yield 2 dozens
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, ground nutmeg and ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, spices and salt. Add melted, cooled
- shortening, egg and molasses; mix well.
- Stir in oats.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
Note: Form dough into a roll, wrap in parchment paper and freeze. To cook, slice frozen dough into 1/4-inch rounds, and bake 13 minutes.
Recipe by Theresa Slemp, Afton, Tenn.