Moist Tofu Cornbread
- Yield 12 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried rosemary, optional
- 8 ounces firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 5 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or oil a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary; mix well.
- In another bowl, squeeze the tofu through your hands until it is the consistency of scrambled eggs. Stir in the oil and 1 cup water. Add tto the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (the batter will be very dry).
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, and bake 45 – 50 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan about 10 minutes, then rap the pan sharply to remove bread. Let cool on a rack at least another 20 minutes before slicing. Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe by Didi Emmons.