Mock Cabbage Rolls
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This recipe is a quick-and-easy alternative to individually stuffing all those cabbage leaves.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (3/4-pound) head of cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 (27-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, cook meat, onion and garlic until meat is done, about 8 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add pepper and cooked rice, mixing well.
- Spoon mixture into a 4-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with shredded cabbage.
- In a bowl, mix together spaghetti sauce and brown sugar. Pour sauce over cabbage. Bake, covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella and continue baking 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.