Mocha Walnut Clusters
- Yield 30 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 5 mins
These are intensely flavored cookies best served with coffee.
- 1/3 cup (2 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 1 -- egg
- 1 tablespoon low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups California walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped California walnuts
Preheat oven to 325F.
Prepare the cookies: In microwave-safe mixing bowl, heat chocolate and canola oil on high for 40-60 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted, reheating if needed. Stir in sugar, ground coffee, egg, milk and vanilla.
Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; stir until thoroughly combined. Add walnut pieces.
Scoop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased or parchment lined baking sheets and press gently with the palm of your hand to flatten. Bake 10-12 minutes until edges feel set when touched. Cookies should be moist in center. Cool on pan 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the glaze: Combine powdered sugar and coffee. Stir to make a thick glaze.
Glaze and garnish the cookies: Set rack with cookies over a sheet of wax paper. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of glaze over each cookie and top with 1/2 teaspoon walnuts before glaze sets.