Mocha Nut Meltaways
- Yield: 4 to 5
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2teaspoons instant coffee granules or powder
- 1tablespoon water
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2cups ground or finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3cup finely chopped walnuts
- Mocha frosting:
- 1 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4cup baking cocoa
- 1/4cup cream
- 1tablespoon butter, softened
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon instant coffee granules or powder
For the cookies:
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve the instant coffee granules in the water in a small bowl; add the vanila. Stir into the creamed mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking cocoa together in a bowl. Add to the creamed mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in 2 cups walnuts.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each into a 14-inch log. Chill, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the logs into 1/4-inch slices and arrange on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on the middle oven rack.
- Cool on a wire rack before frosting. Frost with Mocha Frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup walnuts.
For the frosting:
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, baking cocoa, cream, butter, vanilla and instant coffee granules in a mixing bow; beat until smooth and creamy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Palo Alto Auxiliary for Children, Tastes, Tales and Traditions (the Palo Alto auxiliary for Chidren, 2005)