Mocha Buttercrunch Pie
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2package pie crust mix
- 1-- (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4cup chopped walnuts and pecans, mixed (chop by hand, not in food processor)
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1tablespoon water
- 1-- (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1stick butter
- 3/4cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2-- eggs
- 1cup whipping cream
- 1tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4cup confectioners' sugar
- -- Chocolate shavings
- To prepare the crust. Line 9-inch glass pie plate with foil, pressing down well. Preheat oven to 375F. Place pie crust mix in bowl. Add chocolate which has been ground in food processor or nut grinder. Stir in sugar and nuts. Mix vanilla and water and drizzle over pie crust mixture. Stir and toss with fork. Mixture will be lumpy. Press into pie plate. Bake 15 minutes and cool.
- To prepare the filling. Cream butter, add sugar, and beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in chocolate and coffee. Ad eggs 1 at a time, beating 5 minutes each time. Pour filling into pie crust. Refrigerate 5 or 6 hours or overnight. Pie can be frozen at this point. Before serving prepare topping.
- To prepare topping. Whip cream with coffee and sugar until it holds shape but is not stiff. Spread over filling. Decorate with chocolate shavings. Refrigerate. May be prepared 1 day ahead.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Birmingham’s Magic (Birmingham, Alabama, 1982).