Mixed Vegetables Au Gratin
- Yield 8 servings
There's nothing like an old-fashioned vegetable au gratin during autumn.
- Cream Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent milk, soy milk or rice milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or soy margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch nutmeg
- Vegetable Filling and Crumb Topping:
- 4 cups cooked diced potatoes or blanched broccoli florets, green beans, peas, cauliflower florets, asparagus pieces or any combination of these vegetables*
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes or crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or soy margarine
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- To make sauce: Warm milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add flour. Combine well and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes to form a roux. Slowly add warmed milk and combine well with a wire whisk. Simmer 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- To make filling and topping: Preheat oven to 350F. Combine cooked vegetables with cream sauce and spoon into a 2-quart casserole sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole. Bake 35 minutes until vegetables are heated through and topping is golden brown.
*To blanch vegetables: Place vegetables in boiling salted water 5 to 7 minutes until cooked halfway through. Rinse immediately under ice-cold water to preserve color and texture. Drain well.