Mixed-Grain Waffles with Raspberry Butter
- Yield 6 servings
- 1 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, melted
- Maple syrup, sliced fruit, or berries, for accompaniment
- To make the fruit butter, put the buttery spread in a blender. Add the raspberries and process until well incorporated. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Spray a waffle iron with canola oil cooking spray and heat according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Put the flaxseeds in a blender and process until pulverized.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, egg replacer, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground flaxseeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the sparkling water and soy milk. Add the vanilla extract and buttery spread and whisk again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Cook the batter in the prepared waffle iron until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with the fruit butter, along with maple syrup, sliced fruit, or berries, as desired.
Reprinted with permission from Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York’s Premier Sustainable Restaurant. Copyright © 2011 by Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos, and Jorge Pineda, Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA.Photo credit: Rita Maas.