Mixed Grain Pilaf with Dried Apricots and Pistachios
- Yield 6 servings
A hearty combination of healthy whole grains makes a great side dish for pork or chicken.
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 amaranth
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup Basmati rice
- 1/4 cup millet
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup Wonderful Pistachios, lightly toasted
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add amaranth, quinoa, rice and millet and stir 1 to 2 minutes until grains are coated and hot. Increase heat to high. Add apricots, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, stock and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 25 minutes until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed. Add California pistachios and fluff with a fork to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Wonderful Pistachios.