Mixed Berry Whole Grain Coffee Cake
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Any kind of frozen or fresh berries will work in this coffee cake starring whole grain flour and oats.
Packing 3 grams of fiber per serving, this coffee cake is great from brunch or as a snack. The recipe is provided by Green Mountain at Fox Run, a women's retreat for healthy living without dieting in Ludlow, Vt.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 bag (12-ounce) frozen, unsweetened mixed berries, thawed and drained, or 2 cups fresh berries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, or coat with cooking spray, a 9-inch round or square cake pan.
- Mix butter and oats, 1/4 cup all-pupose flour and brown sugar in a small bowl with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Combine whole wheat flour, remaining all-purpose flour, sugar, oil, milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and egg in a large bowl. Beat mixture with whisk or mixer 1 to 2 minutes, until well blended. Stir in berries. Spread half the batter in pan and sprinkle half the oat mixture on top. Add remaining batter and sprinkle remaining oat mixture and walnuts on top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Serves 12.