- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Delicious cake-pudding combination.
The proportion of pudding to cake is perfect if baked in an 8-by-6-inch pan. If you don't have one, use any small deep casserole dish with a 5- to 6-cup capacity.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (NOT melted)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil an 8-by-6-inch baking pan.
- To prepare batter, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt, stirring well with a fork. Mix in milk, oil and vanilla, and transfer batter to prepared pan.
- To prepare topping, scatter chopped chocolate over the batter. Combine brown sugar and cocoa and sprinkle over batter. Pour boiling water slowly and evenly over batter and topping. Do not stir.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until cake pulls slightly away from the edges of pan and is shiny and firm in the middle; don’t overbake. (If using a larger baking dish, check it at 20 to 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Spoon into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired. Serves 6.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.