- Yield 4 servings
This recipe requires overnight refrigeration. Substitute bass for halibut, if desired.
- 1 cup white (shiro) miso
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin or medium-dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the miso, sake, mirin and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place in a small bowl and cool completely.
- Spread 1/3 of the miso marinade in a glass baking dish. Add the halibut fillets skin side down. Spread the remaining marinade over the fillets.
- Marinate, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Scrape the marinade from the fillets and pat dry. Brush with the olive oil.
- Grill for 8 minutes or until the fish flakes easily, turning once.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Chicago, Peeling the Wild Onion, a Collection of Chicago Culinary Culture (the Junior League of Chicago, 2008)