- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 4-- mirlitons
- 1stick plus 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2pounds raw small shrimp, peeled
- 1cup minced yellow onion
- 2-- garlic cloves, pressed
- 2-- bay leaves
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4cup Italian breadcrumbs, divided
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Boil whole mirlitons for 45 minutes or until tender. Peel, remove seeds and center strings, and mash pulp. Melt 1 stick butter in a large skillet. Stir in pulp, shrimp, and next 4 ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Add salt and remaining 3 ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove bay leaves and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Dot with remaining 4 teaspoons butter. Bake at 350F for 2o to 25 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Jambalaya (The Junior League of New Orleans, La., 1983).