Miniature Orange Muffins
- Yield 4 to 5 dozen
These little muffins make a great snack.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 -- eggs
- 2 cups flour
- -- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk in a small bowl. Process the sugar and cherries in a food processor until the cherries are finely chopped. Add the unsalted butter and eggs. Process until mixed.
- Combine the flour and orange zest in a bowl and mix well. Fold in the cherry mixture and buttermilk mixture just until moistened; do not overmix. Spoon the batter into greased miniature muffin cups. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the muffins test done.
- Remove the muffins to a wire rack immediately. Dip the warm muffins in a mixture of the orange juice and brown sugar. Let stand until cool. Serve as an appetizer or for breakfast. You may prepare in advance and freeze for future use.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Panama City’s Bay Fetes (The Junior League of Panama City, Inc., 2003).