Miniature Almond-Anise Biscotti
- Yield: 64 pieces
- 2cups bread flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 3large eggs
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1teaspoon anise extract
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3cups whole almonds
- 2tablespoons anise seeds
- Line sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the bread flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, anise extract, and salt on high speed until thick and light in color, about 5 minutes. Mix in the flour mixture on low speed, just until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the almonds and anise seeds.
- Form the dough into four 8-in-long strips on the lined sheet pans.
- Bake in a preheated 300°F oven until light golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove the pan from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 275°F.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each strip crosswise into 1⁄2-in-thick slices. Place the biscotti cut side down on sheet pans and bake until golden brown, 20 minutes, turning the biscotti halfway through the baking time. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
–This recipe reprinted with permission from the cookbook Hors d’Oeuvre at Home by the Culinary Institute of America