- Yield 6 servings
A little of everything makes this Italian classic so good.
This flavorful Italian soup (or zuppa) is just the ticket for holiday parties and pre-game festivities.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes (about 3/4 pound), unpeeled and diced
- 3 cups thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add carrots and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.