Mildred Nichols Icebox Cake
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 - 8 ozpackages German sweet chocolate
- 4large eggs - separated
- 2tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1-1/2tablespoon hot water or hot coffee
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1box Nilla vanilla wafers
Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in microvave. Add separated egg yolks* to the warm chocolate and beat thoroughly. Stir in the conf. sugar and the hot water or coffee. Let the mixture cool about 15 mins.
While chocolate is cooling, whip the cream and the egg whites in separate bowls. Egg whites should be stiff. Fold the egg whites gently into the whipped cream. Then gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
Line a brownie-sized pan – 8" x 11" with Nilla wafers (bottom and sides). Pour 1/2 of the filling over the wafers. Make another layer of Nilla wafers then top with the remaining filling.
Chill 4 to 6 hours.
* the eggs in this recipe may not be "cooked" enough for those with possible sensitivity or for anyone who should not be eating uncooked eggs.