Lebanese Chicken and Tabbouleh Salad
- Yield 4 servings
- Cilantro Almond Tabbouleh:
- 1/2 cup coarse bulgur
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1 cup boiling chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 -- boneless chicken breast halves, with skin (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- -- Cilantro and lemon, for garnish
To make the Cilantro-Almond Tabbouleh, place the bulgur, currants and garlic in a medium bowl. Pour the boiling broth over and stir. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and leave to stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and bulgur is tender. Place almonds in a dry skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until nuts are golden brown. Remove from heat and cool completely. Press bulgur in a fine-meshed sieve to remove any excess liquid. Return to the bowl and combine with the tomato and cilantro. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pour over the tabbouleah. Refrigerate until serving.
In a shallow dish combine the flour, cinnamon, cumin and brown sugar. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and then dredge chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Heat vegetable oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until evenly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Place pan in a 425 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
During the last few minutes of chicken cooking in oven, wrap pitas in foil and place in oven to warm through.
Stir the toasted almonds and baby arugula into the tabbouleah and arrange on a large platter. Cool chicken slightly and slice into strips. Place chicken on top of tabbouleh. Sprinkle with feta. Cut pitas into wedges and place around the perimeter of the platter. Garnish with cilantro and lemon.
Makes 4 servings