Microwave Southwestern Mashed Potatoes
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 8 mins
Pepper jack cheese and cumin transform boring mashed potatoes into something new and delish.
- 1 1/2 pounds small white potatoes
- 1 can (4 1/2-ounce) diced mild green chiles
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup low-fat pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap. (If using plastic wrap, poke a small hole in the plastic).
- Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender with pierced with a fork.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add chiles, sour cream, cheese, cumin and salt. Mash with a potato masher or a mixer at medium speed until fairly creamy. Stir in tomato.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough , courtesy of the United States Potato Board