Microwave Southwest Potato and Chicken Casserole
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 18 mins
A quick-and-easy dinner of potatoes and chicken to cook in the microwave.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 medium), thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar
- Mix the chicken, tomatoes, flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper in an 8-inch square microwave-safe baking dish until the chicken strips are well coated. Lay the sliced potatoes over the chicken mixture in a single layer, leaving no gaps or holes. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the potatoes. Cover with a lid or seal with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 16 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the chicken is cooked through. Let stand for 2 minutes, then use oven mitts or hot pads to transfer the baking dish from the microwave; use tongs to peel back any plastic wrap.