United States Potato Board
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 18 mins
- 4medium russet or Yukon Gold potatoes or 6 red potatoes
- 1/2cup milk, divided
- 1cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Wash potatoes and cut thin coin shaped slices approximately 1/8-inch thick
- Pour enough milk into the microwave-safe dish to just cover the bottom.
- Lay potato slices on bottom of dish, covering bottom. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with thin layer of shredded cheese.
- Repeat layering of ingredients until all potatoes have been added to the dish. When final layer of potatoes have been added and seasoned, pour remaining milk over ingredients before adding the last of the cheese.
- Cover with lid or plastic wrap. Note: If using plastic wrap, make sure plastic wrap is not touching any ingredients and poke one small hole in cover to vent.
- Microwave for 10 minutes on high (cooking time may vary depending on microwave). Use oven mitts to carefully remove from microwave and serve.
Note: In addition to cooking the potatoes, the microwave energy will actually raise the temperature of the cheese to the same level as a conventional oven, causing the cheese and the potatoes to slightly brown.
If using plastic wrap, make sure plastic wrap is not touching any ingredients and poke one small hole in the cover as the airtight nature of the seal may create too much pressure for the ideal cooking environment.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 295
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 70mg
- Sodium 518mg
- Potassium 880mg
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 35g