Meyer Lemon Sherbet
- Yield 6 servings
This refreshing sherbet is lighter than ice cream and features Meyer lemons, which are sweeter than other varieties of lemons and are very popular in California gardens.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Juice of 4 Meyer lemons
- Grated zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 quart (4 cups) milk
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl and mix well.
- Chill, covered, for 8 to 10 hours.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until blended; do not be concerned if the mixture curdles.
- Pour into an ice cream freezer container and freeze using the manufacurer’s directions.
NOTE: For a stronger lemon flavor, add additional lemon zest.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., California Mosaic, A Cookbook Celebrating Cultures and Cuisine (The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc. 2008)