- Yield 4 servings
Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is an ancient grain that comes from the Andes in South America.
Quinoa is gluten-free and has more protein than any other grain. It’s truly Supernatural and super delicious. There are so many ways to cook it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Small bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups broth (or water) in a saucepan, add sea salt and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook until all the broth or water is absorbed, about 15- 20 minutes. When done the grains will look almost clear. Fluff with a fork and let stand until cool.
- Place the quinoa into a salad bowl, add the corn, black beans, sliced onions, cilantro, olive oil, lime zest and juice, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
Reprinted with permission from Nancy Mehagian’s The Supernatural Kids Cookbook (Huqua Press, 2011).