Mexican Spoon Bread
- Yield: 8 servings
"I have had this recipe several years. My whole family loves it, and I make it for them often."
- 1/2teaspoon soda
- 3/4cup milk
- 1cup corn meal
- 1/3cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup chopped green onions
- 1 or 2ounce chopped pimientos
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dissolve soda in milk. Combine corn meal, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in corn, milk mixture and salt. Add green onions, pimentos, jalapenos and cheese.
- Heat bacon drippings in a large cast-iron skillet. Pour in batter. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown.
Recipe by Jo K. Feazell, Wortham, Texas