Mexican Pulled Pork Over Yellow Rice
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1-- (3 1/2-pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno chiles
- 1-- (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1-- (11-ounce) can yellow whole kernel corn, drained
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-- (16-ounce) package yellow saffron rice
- -- Sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine the onion and pork in a slow cooker.
- Mix the tomatoes and jalapeno chiles, green chiles, corn, garlic powder, salt, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Pour over the roast. Cover and cook on High for 5 hours or until cooked through and very tender.
- Remove the roast to a work surface and shred with a fork. Remove 1 1/2 cups of liquid from the slow cooker and discard. Add the tomato paste to the slow cooker and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and heat through.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Serve the pork mixture over the rice and garnish with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Par 3: Tea Time at the Masters (the Junior League of Augusta, Ga., 2005).