Mexican Pasta Casserole
- Yield: servings
- 12ounces rigatoni, ziti or other medium pasta shape
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 8ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and julienned
- 1/4cup ripe olives, chopped
- 1cup (4-ounces) Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla, Monterey Jack or Jalapeno Havarti Cheese, shredded and divide
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and liquid, cumin, and oregano. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain well. In bowl, combine pasta, chicken, olives, 3/4 cup cheese and sauce. Spoon into 2-quart baking dish lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake until warmed through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board