Mexican Green Chile Strata
- Yield 8 servings
A great breakfast or brunch dish.
- 6 slices firm bread
- -- Butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces chopped green chiles
- 6 -- eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Trim crusts from bread and spread one side of each with butter. Arrange bread, butter side down in a 9×12-inch baking pan. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread. Distribute the chiles evenly over the cheese layer. In a bowl beat eggs with milk and all seasonings until well blended. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Cover and chill overnight or at least 4 hours. Bake, uncovered, at 325F for about 50 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Albuquerque’s Simply Simpatico (The Junior League of Albuquerque, NM, 1981).