- Yield: 12 servings
'I have been baking this cornbread for more than 20 years and probably wouldn't be welcome if I didn't bring it to gatherings.'
- 2cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4cup sugar
- 2/3cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in oil and eggs. Add onion, corn, buttermilk, cheese, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into pan and bake about 1 hour or until brown. Cut in squares to serve.
Recipe by Wanna Faye Crouse, Finger, Tenn.