- Yield 12 servings
A cornmeal-based bread, made with bell pepper, onion, and cream-style corn
'I have been baking this cornbread for more than 20 years and probably wouldn't be welcome if I didn't bring it to gatherings.'
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in oil and eggs. Add onion, corn, buttermilk, cheese, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into pan and bake about 1 hour or until brown. Cut in squares to serve.
Recipe by Wanna Faye Crouse, Finger, Tenn.