Mexican Corn Bread Casserole
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This isn't just cornbread--it's a meal!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup medium picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (6 to 8-ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain. Combine ground beef, onion, jalapeno chiles, eggs, cornmeal, corn, buttermilk, oil, picante sauce and salt in a bowl; mix well. Layer the batter and cheese one-half at a time in a greased 9×12-inch or 3-quart baking dish. Bake at 350F for 1 hour. Serve with additional cheese, salsa and sour cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Newnan Junior Service League’s Simply Southern(Newnan, Georgia, 2008).