Mexican Chicken Torte
- Yield 8 servings
Why go out for Mexican when you can enjoy this delicious chicken dish in the comfort of your home.
- 4 -- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix or a mixture of chili powder, cumin, onion salt and garlic salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 -- (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups refried black beans or canned refried beans
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 1/4 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 3 -- plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -- avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Cut the chicken into one-inch cubes; rinse and pat dry. Brown in several batches in the heated oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the chicken in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning mix and water. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Reserve 1/3 of the cheeses. Arrange 2 tortillas in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread with 1/3 of the beans. Layer the chicken, scallions, cheeses, a small amount of salsa and remaining tortillas 1/2 at a time in the prepared dish. Top with the reserved cheeses. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Spoon the remaining salsa over the top. Sprinkle with the lettuce, tomatoes and avocado. Spoon the sour cream over the top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rhode Island’s A Tasteful Reflection of Historic Rhode Island (Providence, Rhode Island, 1995).