Mexican Chicken & Grits Pie
- Yield: servings
- 1-1/4pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1medium onion diced
- 2tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2cup evaporated skim milk
- 2tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1/2cup low fat sour cream
- 1cup frozen corn kernels
- 1-- (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- -- Salt to taste
- -- Cayenne pepper to taste
- -- No stick cooking spray
- 1-1/2cup water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup golden or white grits
- 1/4cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2cup egg substitute
- 3ounces shredded Gouda or other cheese
- In large, nonstick skillet sprayed with no stick cooking spray cook chicken over medium-high heat until well-browned and firm. Drain excess fat. Add onion to skillet and saute until lightly browned and tender. Reduce heat to low, stir in flour and then gradually whisk in evaporated milk and sour cream. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and stir in corn, diced tomatoes and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish and smooth the top.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Pour grits over the chicken. Bake 30 minutes, until the grits have set and the filling begins to bubble.
- To prepare Grits: In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool somewhat before stirring in milk, egg and cheese.