Mexican Casserole with Brown Rice
- Yield 8 servings
Use lean ground beef and low-fat cheese in this Mexican Casserole.
"I came up with this recipe when I was dieting and looking for something that was simple, filling, low fat—and most of all, tasted good."
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 (11-ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Tabasco to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients, except cheese and sour cream, and place in a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Top with cheese. Bake about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- When serving, top with reduced-fat sour cream, if desired. Note: Vegetables will be crunchy.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Add salt, to taste. Try adding 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin as you brown the ground beef. Some may prefer sauteing vegetables before adding to the mixture.
Recipe by Karen Burmesch, Plainfield, Ill.