Mexican Casserole with Cornbread Topping
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1cup frozen corn or Mexican corn, thawed
- 1medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 (1-ounce) package reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3/4cup water
- 2 to 3cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1 (6-ounce) package cornbread mix
- 2/3cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring frequently. Drain on paper towels.
- Add sausage to pan; cook until browned. Return beef to pan. Add corn, bell pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, cayenne, taco seasoning mix, tomato sauce, tomatoes with green chiles, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon beef mixture into baking pan. Sprinkle Cheddar on top.
- Combine cornbread mix, milk and egg in a bowl; mix well. Pour evenly over cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until golden. Serves 10.
Recipe by Matilda McLane, Cave City, Ark.