Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Yield 10 servings
Simple ingredients magically create this make-ahead scrumptious breakfast dish.
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 8 ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5 (8-inch) 98% fat-free tortillas, cut into quarters
- Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer green chiles across the bottom.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet until browned. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half. In another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
- Scoop one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Add a layer of one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese on top.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate. Allow casserole to marinate, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 350F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Insert a knife to ensure casserole is thoroughly cooked.