Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Yield 10 servings
Simple ingredients magically create this make-ahead scrumptious breakfast dish.
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 8 ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 -- red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 -- eggs
- 4 -- egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5 -- (8-inch) 98% fat-free tortillas, cut into quarters
- Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread green chilies along bottom of dish.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until starts to brown. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until sausage is done and vegetables tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat. Cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half. In another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
- Spoon one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Top with one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 350F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown and knife inserted into custard comes out clean.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.