Mediterranean Vegetable Sandwiches with Feta
- Yield 3 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Tomatoes, onions and mushrooms star in this vegetarian sandwich.
Italian ciabatta has a chewy, open crumb, which makes it ideal for sandwiches. If you can’t find it, use a French loaf or good quality sandwich rolls.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, vertically sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 ciabatta rolls or 3 (5-inch) pieces French bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 12 (1/4-inch) vertical slices tomato, about
- Arugula leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until browned, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally and reduce heat if browning too quickly. Add thyme, salt, pepper and vinegar and mix to combine.
- Cut rolls horizontally into halves. Grill or broil bread until lightly toasted. Rub cut sides with garlic and brush lightly with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Spoon onion mixture over bottom halves of bread, sprinkle with feta, arrange tomatoes and arugula on top and cover with remaining bread. Makes 3 sandwiches.
Recipe by Jean Kressy