Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep: half hour
- Cook: no cooking except 10 minutes for orzo,
- spinach leaves - torn
- red cabbage -chopped
- chicken breast - use leftovers from roasted chicken
- roma tomatoes - diced
- sundried tomatoes in oil - diced with a small amount of oil added
- fresh shaved parmesan cheese
- pine nuts
- small capers
- black olives, sliced
- green onions - sliced thin with greens
- lemon - at room temperature
- olive oil - adjust amount according to taste
- salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Cook orzo according to pkg. directions, drain and rinse. While orzo is cooking, lightly toast pine nuts in oven at 350 until golden – approx. 10 minutes. cool and set aside.
In a large bowl, place torn spinach leaves, red cabbage, chicken, and both kinds of tomatoes – toss gently. Add capers, black olives, green onions and cooked orzo and fold together. Squeeze lemon juice into a small bowl, add olive oil and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir and pour over salad. Place pine nuts and fresh parmesan on top of salad. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for several hours to let flavors meld.
Before serving, gently stir salad to blend cheese and nuts into the mixture and serve with additional shaved parmesan on top if desired.