Mediterranean Bowl of Giant Couscous
- Yield 4 servings
This quick and colorful couscous dish makes a satisfying side dish, or add chicken for an easy main meal
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 5 ounces giant couscous
- 1 3/4 cups mixed cherry tomatoes
- 6 ounces drained roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch basil leaves
- 13 ounces can chickpeas, drained
- 1 small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces low-fat feta
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic syrup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle or chile paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, then stir in the vegetable stock cube. Add the couscous to the pan and cook for 6–8 minutes until “al dente,” or according to the package instructions. Drain into a large, fine sieve and cool under cold running water
- Meanwhile, quarter the tomatoes and mix with the peppers, cucumber, basil, and chickpeas in a large bowl. Make the dressing by putting all the ingredients in a mini chopper or a small food processor bowl and blending until smooth.
- Mix the cooled couscous with the vegetables and chickpeas, then stir in half of the dressing and toss until all the ingredients are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, then divide into serving bowls.
- Mix together the parsley and scallions, scatter over each bowl of couscous, and then crumble over the feta. Serve with Mediterranean-style flatbread and the remaining dressing, if liked.
Reprinted with permission from Quick Cook Low Fat by Jo McAuley (Hamlyn)