- Yield 6 servings
These tasty meatballs in a tomato gravy with rice and peas provide a hearty meal.
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, crushed, with their juices
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoe puree
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 2/3 cup long-grain rice
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas
- Preheat broiler.
- In a bowl, combine meat, egg whites, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper, basil and thyme. Shape into 30 balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place meatballs on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Broil in oven 4 to 5 minutes, turn meatballs, and continue broiling 4 minutes longer, or until done. Remove from broiler and set aside.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and green pepper over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato puree and beef broth. Bring to a boil and add meatballs. Mix in rice, cover, reduce heat, and continue cooking 20 minutes, or until rice is done. Stir in peas, cover, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until peas are tender.