- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 18 mins
A kid-pleasing hot main dish sandwich.
This kid-pleasing meal can be assembled and frozen for up to 48 hours before baking. No need to thaw it. Just pop it in the oven. On the side, quickly toss together a salad of bagged pre-shredded carrots with some torn fresh mint or basil leaves. Drizzle with your favorite Caesar salad dressing.
- 2 (13-ounce) tubes refrigerated Italian pizza or bread dough
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (8-ounce) pre-shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese (2 cups)
- 1 package (12-ounce) pre-cooked frozen cocktail-size Italian meatballs (or regular size, cut in half)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara or spicy Arrabiatta sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a 14-inch round pizza pan with no-stick spray.
- Carefully unroll each tube of dough into a rough rectangle. Place one dough piece into the pan. Snip off the points and press extra dough into bare spots to cover the bottom of the pan. On the work surface, snip the points on the second piece of dough and press to form a rough circle.
- Brush dough in the pan with the egg mixture. Sprinkle on half of the cheese. Top with meatballs. Drizzle on 1 cup of sauce. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with dough circle. Pinch edges to seal. Brush with the egg mixture. Pierce top several times with a small sharp knife.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling through the dough slits. Serve calzone with remaining sauce at the table.
Recipe by Sharon Sanders