- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2pounds ground sirloin
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, with their juices
- 2tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1cup canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package pasta of your choice (spaghetti, spirals, bow-ties)
- In a heavy pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute celery, carrot, onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground sirloin and oregano. Cook, stirring, until meat begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer about 10 minutes. Then add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and sugar. Simmer over medium heat 30 minutes (it can simmer longer). Add salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and serve with sauce.